Munakka or Raisin is basically a variety of dyhydrated or dried grapes. It is treated as extremely healthy in traditional Indian medicine and is often recommended as part of diet to those recovering from chronic illness. It is cooling in nature and is very sweet in taste. Considered as an effective home remedy for many minor health problems, this humble dry fruit is majorly used for garnishing desserts and dishes in India. According to health experts, diabetic patients should not use it without consulting the physician. It has a high amount of natural sugars i.e. sucrose and glucose; which are considered very helpful in gaining weight. Also, it is a rich source of calcium and micro-nutrient boron, that helps in strengthening bones and teeth. It also has ‘catechin’- an invaluable anti-oxidant and ‘Kaempferol’, a flavonoid which help decrease the growth of cancerous colon tumors. As a good source of Polyphenolic- a phytonutrient, it is considered good for human eyes too.
1. Controls acidity : Munakka along with fennel seed is considered very effective in acidity. Keep them soaked in water overnight and drink this water in the morning.
2. Increases vision : Munakka is a good source of Polyphenolic- a phytonutrient that is good for eyes. Its antioxidants and other nutrients are good for ocular health and protect your eyes from glaucoma, night blindness, and cataract etc
3. Helps in weight gain : It is a rich source of iron and natural sugars- Sucrose and Glucose and thus considered very effective in weight gain. Nutritionists suggest consuming 5-7 raisins daily with milk. Also, you can consume 7-10 roasted raisins along with a pinch of black salt daily on an empty stomach.
4. Good for teeth & gums : Dentists suggest eating 5-7 munakka daily, as it helps protect teeth from cavity, tooth decay and other gum related problems. They have a certain type of photochemical which not just kills bacteria but also nourishes the gums and outer layer of teeth that works as a protection shield.
5. Prevents cancer : It has ‘catechin’- an invaluable anti-oxidant and ‘Kaempferol’, a flavonoid that helps decrease the growth of cancerous colon tumors. According to cancer experts, one should eat 5 soaked raisins daily.
6. Cures hypertension : It contains potassium which helps to reduce tension in blood vessels thus considered very effective in high blood pressure and hypertension.
7. Effective in a dry cough : To get immediate relief from a dry cough, take raisins, piper longum, black pepper, and dates in equal quantity and make a thick paste. You can consume one teaspoon of this paste 3 times a day for effective results.
8. Controls bad breath : It is considered good for curing bad breath problem. All you need to do is to simply soak 8-10 raisins and 3-4 leaves of blackberry and boil them into a glass of water for 10 minutes. Gargle the mixture 3-4 times a day and you can see the effect within a week.
9. Effective in vertigo : According to a study, munakka is very effective in controlling vertigo. Consuming the roasted raisins along with a pinch of rock salt daily for 3-4 weeks can give you best results.
10. Cures headache : It is also an effective remedy for headache. Make a powder of 6-8 raisins, 10 gm licorice (mulethi) & 10 gm candy sugar. Snuffing a pinch of this powder can cure headache caused by acidity and fatigue.
You can try the famous Raja Ji Online Munakka Pachak which are well known for their taste and health benefits.
- Tags: Digestive Churan